During Roman times, the largest public baths were found here, along with a fountain and the “tombeau des deux amants” (a Roman tomb that was demolished in 1707). The Hôpital des Deux-Amants fell into disuse in the second half of the fourteenth century. In 1493, the convent of the Cordeliers de l’Observance was built on its ruins. A Renaissance chapel was built at the end of the sixteenth century. In 1657, the buildings became the property of the Sisters of St. Elizabeth. Both convents were seized during the revolution. The veterinary school was housed in the Sainte-Elisabeth-des-Deux-Amants monastery in 1795, while the cloister and church of Cordeliers de l’Observance were demolished The final plans were drawn up between 1838 and 1868 by Pierre-Prosper Chabrol. The school moved to Marcy-l'Etoile in 1978. The Lyon CNSMD moved into the building in 1988.