The 8 ha botanical garden, a living plant museum, contains one of the richest collections in Europe, including 15,000 species of plants. Different greenhouses are used to keep approx. 6000 species. Covering 6 ha, it's the biggest complex in France.
Last updated date : 20/10/2020
Open all year round, daily.From Oct. to March: 9 am-5 pm (greenhouses til 4:30 pm)
Botanical Garden of Tête d'Or Park
Parc de la tête d'or - 69006 Lyon 6ème
* THE INTERNATIONAL ROSE GARDEN: entrance Allée Achille Lignon, towards Interpol. Open every day from 6 am to 9 pm (11 pm from April to Sept.). Lighting in the evenings. Inaugurated on 19 June 1964, the gardens cover 5 hectares and contain 5,000,000 roses.
* BOTANICAL GARDENS: entrance Avenue Verguin. Previously located on the slopes of Croix-Rousse. Created in 1795, this garden de la Déserte became too small and was moved to the Parc de la Tête d'Or in 1857, 4,000 plants were moved and the Orangerie was rebuilt stone by stone. It includes:
- OPEN AIR GARDEN: open all year 8 am-5 pm (6 pm April to Sept.). This consists of several gardens, including the Botany School (arranged according to family), the arboretum, the fern collection, the historic rose garden (360 varieties), and the Mexican garden (April to Oct.).
- ALPINE GARDEN: open from March to Oct. 8 am-11.30 am. 1700 mountain species.
- COLLECTION GREENHOUSES: closed until February 2021. ((open all year 9 am-4.30 pm (5.30 April to Sept.)). 6000 m², more than 1000 species of orchid and carnivorous plants. Listed Historical Monuments, they were constructed in metal in 1880 by the architect Domenget (prior to this they were made of wood, which did not withstand the humid atmosphere very well). The main greenhouse is a veritable cathedral of glass and steel, with a central area that is 21 metres high (the highest in France). Rebuilt in 2000, new paths have been created and the plantings organized by continent.
- MADAGASCAR GREENHOUSE: open all year 9-11.30 am/1.30 pm-4.30 pm (5.30 April to Sept.). 400 m², 200 plant species from Madagascar.
Opposite the greenhouses, is a STATUE of Bernard de Jussieu, an 18th century botanist who worked in King Louis XV's garden.
* LAMBERT FARM (formerly part of the Observatory, towards the African plain): open office hours, includes a HERBARIUM with 200,000 sections, a COLLECTION of 15,000 taxons (a general word for families/kinds/types), a SEED STORE of more than 1,000 taxons, a conservation LABORATORY for the rarest plants and a LIBRARY of 6,000 books and reviews.
Open all year round, daily.
From Oct. to March: 9 am-5 pm (greenhouses til 4:30 pm)
From April to Sept.: 9 am-6 pm (greenhouses til 5:30 pm, closed on Sun. at 5 pm).
Alpine Garden : from March to Oct.: 9 am-11:30 am.
Free of charge. Guided visits and workshops are not free.
Our website is opimized for recent browsers.
For an optimal display of the different contents, we recommend that you update your browser.
Cookie preference managementThis website enables cookies by default for audience measurement tools and anonymous features. You can configure your browser to block or be informed of the existence of these cookies. These cookies do not store any personally identifying information.Read more
Statistics and audienceMeasuring our performance is important!To assess whether our site is optimised and meets your expectations, we measure our audience using specialised solutions. All the information collected by these cookies is aggregated and therefore anonymised.
Google AnalyticsAllows us to analyse the statistics of visits to our site.
Facebook PixelIdentifies visitors from Facebook posts.