Vélo’v : Lyon champion d'Europe des vélos en libre-service
Lyon Metropole has 5,000 bikes available in its public hire scheme spread around the city’s 428 stations and 22 municipalities:
- Collonges-au-Mont-d ‘Or
- La Mulatière
In 2012, following a survey conducted in 18 countries on 40 cycle hire schemes, Vélo'v was recognised as the European champion of city bike sharing services.
With Vélo'v, Grand Lyon offers you an innovative new bike service that is simple and practical for short journeys.
Velo'v provides solid, comfortable bikes, available for anyone to use, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Once you have completed your journey, simply return the bike to any vélo'v station.
Vélo'v user guide
Vélo'v cycles are available to hire 24/7.
- Find a Vélo'v station: The region has 348 Vélo'v docking stations. To find the closest station to you and see which bikes are available, simply check on the official Vélo'v mobile app, updated in real time.
- Choose your Vélo'v plan: On the mobile app or website, set up an account and then choose your plan (occasional or everyday use). ‘If I cannot create an account?’ You can still hop on a Vélo'v! To hire a bike, visit a station with a payment terminal and choose ‘Buy a plan’.
- Select your Vélo'v: Choose an available bike at the station. Did you know that you can use the app to check the reviews of each bike posted by the previous cyclists? A practical way to find a working Vélo'v!
- Ride your Vélo'v: Now you've picked your ride, release your bike. You have three options: from the docking station, select a Vélo'v and release it by pressing the button on the dock stand; directly from the Vélo'v, put your card or ticket on the card reader; from the mobile app, swipe on ‘Release a Vélo'v’.
- Return your Vélo'v: Use your mobile app to find a free dock near you to return your cycle.
Tip: If you simply want to hop on a cycle to run a quick errand (to buy a delicious praline tart, for example), you can keep the cycle safe using the anti-theft system on the cycle frame.
Now you can simply pedal off to Parc de la Tête d'Or or the quays along the Rhône.
How much does a Vélo’v in Lyon cost?
There are two plans to choose from depending on your use:
- Everyday plan: with this plan, you have unlimited use of Vélo'v cycles for one year. This plan costs between €15 and €31 a year.
- Occasional plan: the price of a one-trip ticket is €1.80 while a one-day ticket is €4. The first 30 minutes of each trip is free. After that, the cost is €0.05/min. for the first paid half-hour, €0.10/min. for the second paid half-hour, and €0.15/min. for the third paid half-hour. Holders of the Lyon City Card are entitled to a special rate. For €5, you can make unlimited journeys for 72 hours.
E-Vélo'v: making cycling even easier
When you sign up to a long-term plan, you can now add the e-Vélo'v option. For €7/month, you have use of a portable battery, which is either sent to your home or ready to pick-up from one of the collection points. That little boost of electricity you need!
MyVélo'v: the electric cycle hire scheme
Lyon is a great place to visit by bicycle but remember that the city was built on two hills and things can get steep! So why not try the electric bikes? Easy as riding a pushbike with MyVélo'V: the monthly plan costs €60/month or sign up to the annual plan for €50/month.
To get the most out of your Vélo'v, check out our guide to cycling in Lyon or download the cycle route map for Grand Lyon.